(6 ft. to 10 ft.)
PLEASE NOTE: 2012 registration for Large Trees is no longer available as our space is full. Thank you for your interest in donating to Festival of Trees.
Beautiful trees are decorated, donated, and displayed at Festival of Trees. These trees are sold by silent auction on Opening Night of Festival of Trees, Tuesday, November 27, 2012, and throughout Festival week, November 28 - December 1, 2012. One hundred percent of all funds raised will help children at Primary Children's Medical Center.
If you are interested in decorating and donating a tree to the Festival of Trees, the following policies and procedures will assist you in making your decision:
- Large Tree registrations must be submitted by October 1, 2012
- Your space will be assigned after your registration is submitted.
- To order the mandatory tree stand, complete the order form and mail a check payable to Primary Children's Medical Center.
- Upon receipt of your online registration, you will receive a confirmation by email. In addition, you will be emailed a confirmation card with your assigned space number.
- If for any reason you find you are unable to fulfill this commitment after you have submitted your registration form and have received your confirmation email, please notify Frances Morgan at 801.943.3943 or firstname.lastname@example.org, so all reserved spaces may be utilized.
Attend Decorator's Workshop: October 13, 10:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (Open House)
- Have at least one representative attend this workshop at Primary Children's Medical Center, multipurpose room (third floor).
- See demonstrations for wiring and gluing ornaments, decorating tips, helpful hints, and information so that your tree can be delivered safely.
- Tree stands will be available for purchase and pick up if prepaid.
Things to Remember When Decorating Your Tree
In order to preserve/maintain the purpose and integrity of this special event, memorabilia included on a tree would be defined as "something valued or collected within a popular field of interest."
- Use NEW artificial trees only.
- Each tree space measures 9 feet wide by 7 feet deep.
- Christmas themed trees sell best.
- Difficult or hard to sell trees include:
- Non-Christmas themed trees
- Non-Christmas colored trees
- Be Sure Lights are New and Wired Onto Tree. For safety, use lights with UL listing. To reduce risk of fire, use a minimum number of lights (no more than 75 to 100 lights per foot).
- Attach any Replacement Bulbs and Fuses to your Tree Skirt.
- Bring a few extra strands of lights on Decorating Day for replacements if needed.
- DO NOT Overload your Tree with Lights. The recommended number: Three strands (100 lights per strand per extension cord), or four strands (50 lights per strand per extension cord). Read the instructions on the light box for specific information. Please bring a heavy-duty extension cord (6-9 ft.) and a power strip that will be sold with the tree.
- All Decorations must be Nonflammable or Fireproofed.
- Some Words from the Fire Marshall. To avoid an electrical overload (fire) be careful of the amount of items displayed around your tree requiring electricity.
- Furnish a Tree Skirt. Attractive tree skirts and a few accessories help the tree to sell. If you use batting as a tree skirt, fire-retardant batting must be used.
- Decorations Must be Glued Together and Wired on the Tree for Successful Delivery.
- We do not have Doors or Easels available for your display.
- All Items Under and Around the Tree will be Sold With the Tree. All trees and accessories become the property of Festival of Trees upon completion and will be priced and sold as such.
- Trees Dedicated to an Individual. If your tree is dedicated to an individual, you may bring a photocopy of one 8"x10" photo to be placed with the tree. The photocopy must be one 8"x10" and the exterior dimensions of the matte or frame cannot exceed 11"x 14". An easel will be provided to display the photo. When choosing a photo to display, be mindful of those who will be viewing it. Pictures of loved ones taken after death cannot be used. Please include the dedication name on the registration form. No other personal photos will be allowed on or around the tree. (Only one picture per tree space is allowed.)
- Multi-media Presentations Must be Approved by Large Tree Chairwoman.
- No Advertising or Inappropriate Material. Festival of Trees is a benefit for children at Primary Children's Medical Center. Do not use your tree to advertise a business or product.
- Be mindful that the display will be visible from all angles, including the back. Be considerate of neighboring tree displays.
- You may include a story about your tree on the form provided. This will be attached to the back of the tree sign. Other written material on or around your tree that is not defined as art will not be permitted. In order to preserve and maintain the purpose and integrity of Festival of Trees, art included on or around a tree would be defined as a "decorative or illustrative item within a popular field of interest."
The Following will NOT be Accepted at the Festival of Trees
- Live trees.
- Old or previously used trees, decorations, and accessories.
- Trees taller than 10 ft. (including tree top decorations).
- Trees with branches that have to be inserted into the tree. Tree branches must be permanently connected to the tree trunk by the manufacturer.
- More than one 8"x10" photo for each assigned tree space.
- Trees featuring tobacco, alcohol, or adult content material.
- Walls or barriers creating an obstruction.
- Water ornaments, globes, or other water features.
- Inflatable lawn ornaments or decorations.
- Trees decorated to advertise a business or product.
- Adhesive on floor.
- Items taller than 10 ft.
Preparing Your Tree to be Delivered
When Festival of Trees is over, your tree will be delivered to its new home. Great care is taken in delivering your tree. Because Christmas trees aren't designed to be transported, these requirements will ensure that your tree does not bend, break or fall apart.
- Ornaments and Decorations. Glue the metal ornament cap onto every ornament. Then wire every ornament, garland, and decoration securely to the tree.
- Tree Stands. A Festival of Trees approved stand is mandatory. Any exceptions should be discussed with and approved by Frances Morgan 801.943.3943. The cost of a tree stand is $30.00. Tree stands will be available at Decorator's Workshop, October 13, 2012; or November 3 or 17 at Primary Children's Medical Center from 8:30 until 10:00 a.m.; or Decorating Day, November 26, 2012. Three sizes are available. Do not alter the tree stand in any way.
- Reinforce Your Tree. All trees must have their trunks reinforced. If the trunk is hollow, you must insert a piece of PVC pipe inside the trunk. It should extend from the bottom of the tree stand to the top of the tree, or as far as possible. Rebar must also be attached on the outside of the tree trunk from the bottom of the tree stand to the top of the tree and secured with hose clamps in six to eight places. This will prevent the tree from bending at the top or breaking at the base during delivery. Rebar should not extend above the top of the tree.
- Sections or joints must be permanently joined together with self-tapping screws (preferred) or long bolts that extend completely through the trunk and are secured with nuts. This will prevent tree sections from separating during delivery. *Any exceptions must be approved by Large Tree Department Chairwoman.
- New! Decorator must provide PVC pipe, rebar, hose clamps, screws, bolts, etc.
- Tree Delivery. If you plan to include items that are larger or heavier than the tree, please be prepared to help with the delivery. Remember these trees are being delivered to homes and businesses. Trees need to fit through a regular sized door. If your tree breaks during delivery, you may be asked to help repair or replace it.
Decorating Day: Monday, November 26, 2012
- The South Towne Expo Center will open at 7:00 a.m.
- First thing: Check in at the Large Tree registration table to review your sign, receive other information, and turn in gift certificates.
- Your tree MUST be completed by 7:00 p.m.
- Groups larger than 10 individuals must make special arrangements with Frances Morgan at 801.943.3943 or email@example.com.
- Keep a Record of Expenses and Save Receipts for your Tax Purposes.
On Decorating Day, you will be asked at check out for your itemized expense list to help determine the fair market value of your tree. (This form is available online as part of your printed materials.) To receive a tax receipt from the Festival of Trees, bring all receipts for purchased items associated with your display.
- Come prepared. Bring rebar, PVC pipe, scissors, florist wire, wire cutters, hose clamps, self-tapping screws, nuts and bolts, step stool, glue gun, pliers, drills, screw drivers, folding chairs, ladder, and clean up tools such as a broom, dustpan, and garbage bags with you to the South Towne Expo Center. Please label all your supplies.
- Do NOT remove chairs from South Towne chair racks.
- Leave children home. Due to security and safety issues, we recommend children be left at home.
- An Aisle Worker must complete Large Tree Check-Off List upon completion of your tree. Return to the check-in desk to complete check-out process and receive your Opening Night Invitiations or Thank You Tickets.
- At check out, upon completion of your tree, you will receive three Opening Night invitations for Tuesday, November 27, 2012, at 8:00 p.m., OR six thank you tickets to the Festival to be used any day Wednesday through Saturday, November 27 - December 1, 2012.
- Each Opening Night invitation will admit two adults.
- Babies and children under the age of 16 will NOT be admitted on Opening Night.
- After Decorating Day, Opening Night tickets cannot be exchanged for admittance into the Festival later in the week.
- If you wish to attend the 5:00 p.m. bidding portion of Opening Night, you must purchase a bid number by calling Primary Children's Medical Center Foundation, 801.662.5966.
Upon completion, all trees become the property of Festival of Trees.
FOR QUESTIONS CONTACT:
Frances Morgan, Chairwoman